Best Carriers Ranked:
Motorcycle hitch carriers are an essential accessory for any motorcycle enthusiast. They provide a secure and efficient way to transport your bike from one location to another. Whether you’re heading to a race, going on a road trip, or simply need to move your bike, a reliable motorcycle hitch carrier is a must-have. In this article, we will delve into the world of motorcycle hitch carriers and review some of the best options available on the market.
|Product Name||Weight Capacity (lbs)||Material||Anti-Tilt Device||Average Amazon Rating||Amazon Link||Product Image|
|Black Widow MCC-600 Steel Motorcycle Carrier||600||Steel||Yes||4.1||Link|
|ECOTRIC Motorcycle Carrier with Loading Ramp||500||Heavy-duty steel||Yes||4.2||Link|
|Goplus Motorcycle Carrier Dirt Bike Rack Hitch Mount Hauler||600||Heavy-duty steel||Yes||4.4||Link|
|SPECSTAR Heavy Duty 450 Lbs Capacity Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier||450||Aluminum||Yes||N/A||Link|
|Mockins HitchMounted Motorcycle Carrier||500||Heavy-duty steel||Yes||3.9||Link|
|Direct Aftermarket Steel Motorcycle Scooter Dirt Bike Rack Carrier Hauler||500||Powder-coated steel||Yes||4.3||Link|
|7BLACKSMITHS Full Steel Motorcycle Scooter DirtBike Carrier||500||Steel||Yes||4.2||Link|
1. Black Widow MCC-600 Steel Motorcycle Carrier
1. Black Widow MCC-600 Steel Motorcycle CarrierAmazon Pricing
The Black Widow MCC-600 is a top-of-the-line motorcycle carrier designed for strength and durability. Constructed from high-quality steel, this carrier can support up to 600 lbs, making it suitable for a wide range of motorcycles.
One of the standout features of the Black Widow MCC-600 is its anti-tilt device. This feature ensures that the carrier remains stable and secure, even when driving on uneven terrain. This is a crucial feature that enhances the safety of your motorcycle during transportation.
Customers have praised the Black Widow MCC-600 for its robust construction and ease of assembly. With an average rating of 4.5 stars on Amazon, it’s clear that this product has won the approval of many motorcycle owners.
2. ECOTRIC Motorcycle Carrier with Loading RampAmazon Pricing
Next on our list is the ECOTRIC 600LBS Motorcycle Carrier. This carrier boasts a 500 lb capacity, making it a great choice for medium to large-sized motorcycles. It’s made from heavy-duty steel, ensuring it can withstand the rigors of long-distance travel.
The ECOTRIC carrier also features an anti-tilt locking device. This feature helps to keep your motorcycle stable during transit, reducing the risk of damage. The carrier also comes with a loading ramp, making it easy to load and unload your bike.
Customers have given the ECOTRIC Motorcycle Carrier high marks for its sturdy construction and value for money. With a rating of 4.3 stars on Amazon, this carrier is a popular choice among motorcycle owners.
3. Goplus Motorcycle Carrier Dirt Bike Rack Hitch Mount HaulerAmazon Pricing
The Goplus Motorcycle Carrier is another excellent option for transporting your motorcycle. This carrier is designed with a 600 lb capacity, making it suitable for most dirt bikes and small motorcycles. It’s constructed from heavy-duty steel, ensuring durability and longevity.
One of the key features of the Goplus Motorcycle Carrier is its adjustable anti-tilt bracket. This feature helps to reduce wobble and ensure a smooth ride for your bike. The carrier also comes with a dual-sided loading ramp, allowing for easy loading and unloading from either side.
Customers have praised the Goplus Motorcycle Carrier for its easy assembly and sturdy construction. With an average rating of 4.2 stars on Amazon, this carrier is a reliable choice for transporting your motorcycle.
4. SPECSTAR Heavy Duty 450 Lbs Capacity Aluminum Motorcycle CarrierAmazon Pricing
The SPECSTAR Motorcycle Carrier is a lightweight yet sturdy option for transporting your motorcycle. With a 450 lb capacity, this carrier is suitable for smaller motorcycles and scooters. It’s made from high-quality aluminum, making it both durable and lightweight.
The SPECSTAR carrier features an anti-tilt locking device, ensuring your motorcycle remains stable during transit. The carrier also comes with a loading ramp, making it easy to load and unload your bike.
Customers have given the SPECSTAR Motorcycle Carrier high marks for its lightweight design and easy assembly. With a rating of 4.3 stars on Amazon, this carrier is a popular choice among motorcycle owners looking for a lightweight and reliable carrier.
5. Mockins Hitch Mounted Motorcycle CarrierAmazon Pricing
The Mockins Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier is a versatile and reliable option for transporting your motorcycle. With a 500 lb capacity, this carrier is suitable for a wide range of motorcycles. It’s constructed from heavy-duty steel, ensuring durability and longevity.
One of the standout features of the Mockins Motorcycle Carrier is its anti-tilt locking device. This feature helps to keep your motorcycle stable during transit, reducing the risk of damage. The carrier also comes with a loading ramp, making it easy to load and unload your bike.
Customers have praised the Mockins Motorcycle Carrier for its robust construction and ease of use. With an average rating of 4.4 stars on Amazon, this product has won the approval of many motorcycle owners.
6. Direct Aftermarket Steel Motorcycle Scooter Dirt Bike Rack Carrier HaulerAmazon Pricing
The Direct Aftermarket Motorcycle Carrier is a robust and reliable option for transporting your motorcycle or scooter. With a 500 lb capacity, this carrier is suitable for most motorcycles and scooters. It’s made from powder-coated steel, ensuring it can withstand the rigors of long-distance travel.
The Direct Aftermarket carrier also features an anti-tilt locking device. This feature helps to keep your motorcycle stable during transit, reducing the risk of damage. The carrier also comes with a loading ramp, making it easy to load and unload your bike.
Customers have given the Direct Aftermarket Motorcycle Carrier high marks for its sturdy construction and value for money. With a rating of 4.2 stars on Amazon, this carrier is a popular choice among motorcycle owners.
7. 7BLACKSMITHS Full Steel Motorcycle Scooter DirtBike CarrierAmazon Pricing
Rounding up our list is the 7BLACKSMITHS Full Steel Motorcycle Carrier. This carrier is designed with a 500 lb capacity, making it suitable for most dirt bikes, scooters, and small motorcycles. It’s constructed from full steel, ensuring durability and longevity.
One of the key features of the 7BLACKSMITHS Motorcycle Carrier is its anti-tilt locking device. This feature helps to reduce wobble and ensure a smooth ride for your bike. The carrier also comes with a loading ramp, making it easy to load and unload your bike.
Customers have praised the 7BLACKSMITHS Motorcycle Carrier for its easy assembly and sturdy construction. With an average rating of 4.1 stars on Amazon, this carrier is a reliable choice for transporting your motorcycle.
Now that we’ve reviewed each product individually, let’s compare them based on their features, pros, and cons. The Black Widow MCC-600 and the Goplus 600 LBS Motorcycle Carrier both offer the highest weight capacity at 600 lbs, making them suitable for larger bikes. However, if you’re looking for a lightweight option, the SPECSTAR Motorcycle Carrier, made from aluminum, might be the best choice.
In terms of customer ratings, the Black Widow MCC-600 and the Mockins Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier stand out with the highest ratings. These carriers are praised for their sturdy construction and ease of assembly.
When buying a motorcycle hitch carrier, there are several factors to consider. First, consider the weight capacity of the carrier. Make sure it can support the weight of your motorcycle. Second, consider the material of the carrier. Steel carriers are typically more durable, but aluminum carriers are lighter and easier to handle. Finally, consider the ease of assembly and whether the carrier comes with a loading ramp.
How Easy To Install?
The difficulty of installing the hitch carriers such as 7BLACKSMITHS 500LBS Bike Carrier can vary based on the specific model and the vehicle you’re installing it on.. However, most hitch carriers are designed to be user-friendly and can be installed with basic tools and a bit of patience. Here’s a general guide on how to do it:
1. Gather Your Tools: Before you start, make sure you have all the necessary tools. This usually includes a wrench and possibly a set of sockets.
2. Attach the Hitch Carrier to Your Vehicle: The first step is to slide the hitch carrier’s shank into the hitch receiver on your vehicle. The shank is the square metal tube on the carrier that fits into the receiver. Make sure to align the holes on the shank and the receiver.
3. Secure the Carrier: Once the holes are aligned, insert the hitch pin through the holes to secure the carrier to the vehicle. Some models may also have a locking pin for added security.
4. Assemble the Carrier: Next, assemble the rest of the carrier according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This usually involves attaching the loading ramp and the bike track. Make sure all bolts and screws are tightened securely.
5. Install the Anti-Tilt Device: If your carrier comes with an anti-tilt device, install it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This device helps to stabilize the carrier and prevent it from wobbling.
6. Check Your Work: Once everything is assembled, give the carrier a good shake to make sure everything is secure. Check all bolts and screws again to make sure they’re tight.
Remember, it’s important to always refer to the specific installation instructions provided by the manufacturer, as the process can vary slightly between different models. If you’re unsure or uncomfortable with the installation process, consider seeking help from a professional.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the importance of the weight capacity in a motorcycle hitch carrier?
The weight capacity of a motorcycle hitch carrier is crucial as it determines the type and size of motorcycles that the carrier can safely transport. Exceeding the weight limit can lead to damage to both the carrier and the motorcycle, and can pose a safety risk.
2. How does an anti-tilt device work on a motorcycle hitch carrier?
An anti-tilt device is designed to stabilize the carrier and prevent it from wobbling during transit. It works by locking the carrier into place, reducing movement and ensuring a smoother and safer ride for your motorcycle.
3. What are the benefits of a motorcycle hitch carrier made from aluminum?
Aluminum motorcycle hitch carriers like Direct Aftermarket Steel Motorcycle Carrier are typically lighter than their steel counterparts, making them easier to handle and install. Despite their lightweight, they are still durable and resistant to rust and corrosion.
4. How does the loading ramp benefit the use of a motorcycle hitch carrier?
A loading ramp simplifies the process of loading and unloading your motorcycle onto the carrier. It’s especially useful for heavier motorcycles, as it reduces the need for lifting.
5. Are higher-rated motorcycle hitch carriers always better?
While higher-rated carriers often offer excellent quality and performance, the best carrier for you depends on your specific needs. Factors such as your motorcycle’s weight, the material of the carrier, and additional features should all be considered.
6. How can I ensure the longevity of my motorcycle hitch carrier?
Proper maintenance is key to ensuring the longevity of your motorcycle hitch carrier. This includes regular checks for any signs of wear and tear, proper cleaning, and adhering to the weight capacity limit.
7. Can I use a motorcycle hitch carrier for other types of vehicles like scooters or dirt bikes?
Yes, motorcycle hitch carriers can often be used for other types of vehicles like scooters or dirt bikes, as long as the vehicle’s weight does not exceed the carrier’s weight capacity. You need to make sure they are safe.. Always check the manufacturer’s specifications to be sure.
Maintenance and Care of Your Motorcycle Hitch Carrier
Ensuring the longevity of your motorcycle hitch carrier is directly related to how well you maintain and care for it. Regular upkeep not only enhances durability but also assures safety during travel.
Cleaning: After every trip, it’s important to clean your carrier. Road grime, mud, and other debris can accumulate and potentially damage the carrier over time. Use a mild detergent and soft brush to gently clean all parts of the carrier. Rinse it thoroughly and let it dry before storage.
Inspection: Regularly inspect your carrier for any signs of wear or damage. Pay special attention to areas like the hitch connection, locking mechanisms, and load-bearing areas. If you notice any cracks or severe rusting, it might be time for repairs or replacement.
Lubrication: Moving parts like hinges and locks should be lubricated periodically to ensure smooth operation. Use a quality lubricant designed for outdoor equipment.
Storage: When not in use, store your carrier in a dry, covered area to protect it from harsh weather conditions. If possible, remove it from your vehicle when not in use to prevent unnecessary exposure to the elements.
Load Check: Always double-check the weight of your motorcycle against the carrier’s maximum capacity. Overloading can cause serious damage to the carrier and your vehicle, and poses significant safety risks.
Proper maintenance and care will keep your motorcycle hitch carrier in top condition, extending its lifespan and ensuring you can rely on it for many rides to come.
Real-world Experiences with Motorcycle Hitch Carriers
Drawing from the experiences of various users, here’s what you can expect from some of the top motorcycle hitch carriers:
- Rage Powersports Black Widow Motorcycle Carrier: Users have praised this carrier for its ruggedness, stability, and compatibility with a variety of motorcycles, dirt bikes, and scooters. With a weight capacity of up to 600 pounds, it’s seen as one of the more heavy-duty options on the market. However, some users have noted that the bolts aren’t of the best quality and may need to be replaced. Also, at 64 pounds, it can be challenging for one person to mount on their own1.
- Trackside Motorcycle Carrier: Lauded for its high-quality construction and budget-friendly price point, this carrier is appreciated for being easy to assemble and install. It supports bikes weighing up to 500 pounds. However, users wished for clearer assembly instructions2.
- Black Widow MCC-500 Steel Motorcycle Carrier: Seen as heavy-duty and reliable, this carrier is appreciated for its rust- and corrosion-resistant construction. It allows for bilateral loading and unloading, but some users found the ramp more cumbersome than others. It also includes materials like cadmium and lead, which might concern some users3.
- BikeMaster Motorcycle Carrier: Known for being budget-friendly and dependable, it has a weight capacity of 500 pounds and can carry wider bikes with ease. However, users have noted that the ramp may be difficult to use on vehicles with higher ground clearance, and the overall construction quality might be less heavy-duty than other options4.
- Rage Powersports Black Widow Aluminum Double Motorcycle Carrier: This double motorcycle carrier is praised for its versatility. Even though it’s made of lightweight aluminum, its dual capacity makes it one of the heaviest options. Users have noted that while it’s more affordable and easier to use than a full-size trailer, the aluminum is not as rugged and rust-resistant as an all-steel, powder-coated finish would be5.
What Are Experts Saying About This Topic
- Stability: One concern with motorcycle hitch carriers is stability. Experts often emphasize the importance of choosing a carrier that is sturdy and well-built to ensure the motorcycle remains secure during transit. It’s crucial to check the weight capacity and construction quality of the carrier to match it with your motorcycle’s weight.
- Load distribution: Proper load distribution is essential when using a motorcycle hitch carrier. It’s recommended to evenly distribute the weight of the motorcycle on the carrier and ensure it is properly secured with straps or tie-downs. Failing to distribute the weight correctly can affect the handling of the towing vehicle and potentially cause instability.
- Vehicle compatibility: Motorcycle hitch carriers need to be compatible with your specific vehicle’s hitch receiver. Different vehicles have different hitch classes and weight capacities, so it’s important to select a carrier that is suitable for your vehicle’s specifications.
- Safety and legal considerations: It’s crucial to comply with local traffic laws and regulations when using a motorcycle hitch carrier. Ensure that the carrier does not obstruct taillights, turn signals, or license plates. It’s also recommended to double-check the legal requirements and any additional regulations specific to your region or country.
In conclusion, a reliable motorcycle hitch carrier is a must-have for any motorcycle owner. Whether you choose the Black Widow MCC-600 for its high weight capacity, the SPECSTAR Motorcycle Carrier for its lightweight design, or the Mockins Motorcycle Hitch Carrier for its high customer ratings, you can’t go wrong with any of these options.
Remember, the best motorcycle hitch carrier for you depends on your specific needs and preferences. So, consider these options, evaluate their features, and make an informed decision. Happy riding!