Get ready to ride in style and with utmost protection with classic motorcycle helmets. These iconic headgear options not only offer timeless appeal but also ensure your safety on the road. In this review article, we explore the world of classic helmets, examining their unique features and performance.
From retro-inspired full-face designs to open-face options with a vintage touch, we unveil the top brands that seamlessly blend classic aesthetics with modern safety standards. Join us as we dive into the realm of classic motorcycle helmets, where style and reliable protection go hand in hand.
The Beauty and Charm of Classic Motorcycle Helmets
Classic motorcycle helmets are not merely functional gear for bikers; they are also a strong fashion statement, available in different design and styles such as 3/4 motorcycle helmet that brings an undeniable sense of style and nostalgia to the biking world. These helmets are steeped in heritage, capturing the spirit and glamour of past biking eras. But what makes them truly timeless and continually sought-after pieces of biking gear?
These helmets have a unique aesthetic appeal that sets them apart from their modern counterparts. Their design harks back to an earlier time of motorcycling, with elements that evoke the iconic imagery of the 1960s and 1970s biking culture. This vintage allure often includes classic color schemes, old-school logos, and retro patterns, effectively capturing the spirit of the golden age of motorcycling.
Many classic motorcycle helmets for women or men feature excellent craftsmanship. Their designs might be old-school, but the manufacturing techniques used are often modern, ensuring the helmets are well-made and durable. These helmets aren’t just about looking good; they’re about offering longevity and value for money too.
Modern Safety Standards
Perhaps the most impressive feature of classic motorcycle helmets is their ability to combine retro aesthetics like retro helmets with modern safety features. Despite their vintage look, these helmets meet or even exceed current safety standards. They often come with features such as ABS shells, multi-density EPS liners, and even quick-release systems for ease of use. This ensures that bikers can enjoy the thrill of the ride while being adequately protected.
While the vintage appeal and safety features are crucial, the comfort factor is also a key selling point for classic full face or motorcycle half helmets. Modern production techniques allow for better-fitting helmets that incorporate ventilation systems, adjustable straps, and removable and washable padding, thus offering optimum comfort for the rider.
Whether it’s the appeal of the classic design or the modern safety standards they adhere to, classic motorcycle helmets continue to charm bike enthusiasts with unique features such as the adjustments of motorcycle helmets intercoms. Their inherent charisma sets them apart, making them a must-have for anyone looking to embrace the vintage aesthetic without compromising on safety or comfort. In the following sections, we’ll explore some of the popular classic motorcycle helmets available in the market today.
Notable Classic Motorcycle Helmets That want You Should get
A variety of classic motorcycle helmets such as motorcycle helmets for hot weather in the market offer a balance of vintage charm and modern safety features. This section will delve into some of the notable models, highlighting their unique features and aesthetics.
Bell Bullitt Helmet
The Bell Bullitt Helmet is a full-face motorcycle helmet that combines classic vintage design with modern features. With its retro-inspired styling and high-quality construction, it pays homage to iconic helmets of the past.
The helmet is available in fiberglass composite or carbon fiber shell options for durability and impact protection. It features metal mesh vents for optimal airflow, a removable bubble face shield for clear visibility, and a comfortable interior liner that can be easily removed and washed. The Bell Bullitt Helmet offers riders a unique blend of timeless style, reliable protection, and comfort for an enjoyable riding experience.
- Retro Design: The Bell Bullitt Helmet has a classic, vintage-inspired design that pays homage to the iconic helmets of the past.
- Quality Construction: Constructed with a lightweight fiberglass composite or carbon fiber shell (depending on the version) for durability and impact protection.
- Ventilation: Equipped with metal mesh intake and exhaust vents, allowing for adequate airflow and ventilation to keep the rider cool.
- Visor and Shield: Comes with a clear bubble face shield for excellent visibility and protection against wind, debris, and UV rays. The face shield is removable and replaceable.
- Comfortable Interior: The helmet features a removable, washable, and anti-bacterial interior liner for comfort and hygiene. It also has contoured cheek pads for a snug fit.
- Secure Closure: Features a double D-ring chin strap for a secure and adjustable closure system.
- Multiple Color Options: The Bullitt Helmet is available in a variety of color schemes and graphic designs, allowing riders to choose their preferred style.
- Retro Styling: The vintage-inspired design of the Bell Bullitt Helmet appeals to riders seeking a classic look.
- Build Quality: The helmet is well-constructed using high-quality materials, ensuring durability and protection.
- Ventilation: The metal mesh vents provide adequate airflow, reducing heat and moisture buildup inside the helmet.
- Visibility: The clear bubble face shield offers excellent visibility and protection against the elements.
- Comfort: The removable and washable liner, along with contoured cheek pads, enhance comfort for extended rides.
- Customization: The variety of color options allows riders to personalize their style.
- Price: The Bell Bullitt Helmet is typically priced in the higher range due to its premium materials and retro design.
- Noise Levels: Some riders have reported that the helmet may produce higher noise levels compared to other modern helmets.
- Weight: The Bullitt Helmet is not the lightest helmet available, which may be a consideration for some riders seeking a lightweight option.
Overall, the Bell Bullitt Helmet is a popular choice among riders who appreciate its vintage aesthetics, quality construction, and comfortable fit. While it may have a higher price point and slightly heavier weight compared to other helmets, it offers a unique blend of style and modern features.
Biltwell Gringo Helmets
The Biltwell Gringo Helmet is a full-face motorcycle helmet that beautifully captures the essence of vintage aesthetics. Inspired by the classic helmet designs from the 1970s, the Gringo Helmet showcases a timeless style that appeals to riders seeking a retro look.
Constructed with a durable injection-molded ABS outer shell, the Gringo Helmet provides reliable impact protection. Its design features multiple vents on the forehead and rear, allowing for proper airflow and ventilation to keep riders cool and comfortable during their journeys. The removable and washable liner adds to the helmet’s convenience and ensures a clean and snug fit.
The Gringo Helmet comes with a removable, snap-on bubble shield that provides eye protection and can be easily swapped with other Biltwell face shields to suit individual preferences. It also features a secure D-ring chin strap for adjustable and secure closure.
- Retro Design: The Biltwell Gringo Helmet features a classic, vintage-inspired design reminiscent of helmets from the 1970s.
- Construction: Constructed with a durable injection-molded ABS outer shell for impact protection.
- Ventilation: Equipped with multiple vents on the forehead and rear to allow for proper airflow and ventilation.
- Removable Liner: The helmet features a removable and washable liner for easy maintenance and comfort.
- Shield Options: The Gringo Helmet comes with a removable, snap-on bubble shield for eye protection, and it is compatible with other Biltwell face shields.
- Chin Strap: Features a D-ring chin strap for a secure and adjustable closure system.
- Customization: The helmet allows for personalization with various visor and shield color options, as well as aftermarket accessories like bubble shields, bubble visors, and grilles.
- Classic Style: The vintage-inspired design of the Biltwell Gringo Helmet appeals to riders seeking a timeless aesthetic.
- Affordable: The Gringo Helmet offers excellent value for its quality construction and retro design.
- Versatility: The helmet’s compatibility with various face shields and accessories allows riders to customize their look.
- Comfort: The removable liner and adequate ventilation contribute to a comfortable wearing experience.
- DOT Certified: The helmet meets or exceeds DOT safety standards, ensuring reliable protection on the road.
- Limited Features: The Biltwell Gringo Helmet focuses more on retro design and simplicity, lacking some advanced features found in more modern helmets.
- Noise Levels: Some riders have reported that the helmet may produce higher noise levels due to its open-face design and ventilation.
Arai Classic-V Helmet
The Arai Classic-V Helmet represents a perfect blend of vintage style and modern functionality. It takes inspiration from the classic open-face design, popular during the early days of motorcycling. The helmet’s round shape, a part of Arai’s ‘R75 Shape’ concept, is not just for the retro look; it’s also a deliberate design feature meant to enhance the helmet’s capacity to glance off impacts, thereby increasing rider safety.
- Retro open-face design
- PBcLc shell
- Multi-density EPS liner
- Hidden ventilation system
- ‘R75 Shape’ concept
- Goggle strap holder
- The removable, washable anti-microbial liner
- High-Quality Construction: The PBcLc shell and multi-density EPS liner guarantee high-quality construction that offers effective impact absorption and increased safety.
- Excellent Ventilation: The hidden ventilation system allows for efficient airflow, ensuring a comfortable riding experience.
- Lightweight Design: Being an open-face helmet, the Classic-V is lightweight, making it more comfortable for long rides.
- Retro Aesthetics: The helmet’s design harks back to the early days of biking, making it a perfect choice for those who love the vintage style.
- Washable Liner: The removable, washable anti-microbial liner ensures the hygiene and longevity of the helmet.
- Reduced Facial Protection: The open-face design, while offering a wide field of vision and more comfort, provides less protection to the face compared to full-face helmets.
- Potential Noise Issues: Open-face helmets, in general, tend to be noisier due to increased wind exposure.
- Price: Arai helmets are often priced higher than other brands, which could be a limiting factor for some buyers.
The Arai Classic-V is a nod to motorcycling’s roots, allowing riders to enjoy a retro look without compromising on modern safety standards and comfort. However, it’s essential to consider the open-face design, which may offer less protection than a full-face helmet and potential noise issues. With its high-quality construction and key features, it’s a helmet designed for riders who value both aesthetics and functionality.
Shoei GT-Air II Helmet
Shoei GT-Air II Helmet is the quintessential blend of retro charm and modern design. It draws inspiration from the golden era of motorcycling, reflecting a sense of timeless style through its rounded shell and vintage graphics. Despite its classic look, the helmet boasts state-of-the-art features that cater to today’s safety needs and comfort preferences.
- Retro-inspired full-face design
- Multi-ply matrix AIM shell
- Multi-piece EPS liner
- Multi-position, ratcheting face shield
- 3D molded, removable, and washable interior
- Dual intake and exhaust ventilation system
- Emergency Quick Release System (EQRS)
- High-Quality Construction: The multi-ply matrix AIM shell and multi-piece EPS liner provide a high level of protection and impact absorption.
- Good Ventilation: The helmet’s dual intake and exhaust ventilation system offers excellent airflow, ensuring rider comfort during long rides.
- Comfortable Fit: The 3D molded, removable, and washable interior ensures a snug and comfortable fit and easy maintenance.
- Versatile Face Shield: The multi-position, ratcheting face shield offers flexibility and enhances the overall safety and riding experience.
- Emergency Quick Release System (EQRS): This feature allows for the safe and quick removal of the helmet in emergency situations.
- Weight: Due to its full-face design, the GT-Air II may be heavier than open-face or half helmets, which could potentially affect comfort during extended use.
- Price: Shoei helmets, including the GT-Air II, tend to be priced higher than many other helmet brands, which could be a limiting factor for some buyers.
The Shoei GT-Air II Helmet brings together the best of both worlds – vintage style and modern safety standards. It’s an ideal choice for riders who love the nostalgia associated with classic helmets but also want the safety features and comfort of modern designs. While it does come with a higher price tag and may be heavier due to its full-face design, the quality of construction and safety features could make it a worthwhile investment for many riders.
HJC IS-5 Helmet
The HJC IS-5 Helmet is a testament to the timeless allure of the classic 3/4 helmet design. It merges the aesthetic of a bygone era with the demands of modern-day safety. With its advanced polycarbonate composite shell and a variety of unique graphics to choose from, the HJC IS-5 embodies a blend of style, comfort, and functionality that will appeal to the contemporary rider.
- Classic 3/4 helmet design
- Advanced polycarbonate composite shell
- Removable and washable SuperCool interior
- Integrated, flip-up HJ-V8 sun shield
- Nylon Strap D-Ring retention system
- Lightweight and Comfortable: The 3/4 helmet design makes the HJC IS-5 lightweight and comfortable for long rides.
- Quality Construction: The advanced polycarbonate composite shell offers robust protection while keeping the helmet light.
- Good Sun Protection: The integrated, flip-up HJ-V8 sun shield provides effective sun protection without compromising the retro look.
- Hygienic Interior: The SuperCool interior is not only comfortable and moisture-wicking, but it’s also removable and washable, contributing to the helmet’s hygiene and longevity.
- Unique Graphics: The HJC IS-5 comes in a variety of unique designs, including licensed graphics from Star Wars and Marvel Comics, which add a fun and personalized element to the helmet.
- Less Protection: As with all 3/4 helmets, the HJC IS-5 provides less protection than full-face helmets, particularly in the case of face and chin impacts.
- Potential Fit Issues: Some users may find the fit less snug compared to other helmet models, making it essential to try on the helmet for fit before purchase.
The HJC IS-5 Helmet is a stylish and functional choice for riders who appreciate the appeal of the classic 3/4 helmet design. While it may not offer the same level of protection as a full-face helmet, its lightweight design, sun shield, and unique graphics make it an attractive option for those seeking a blend of style and comfort. As with any helmet purchase, potential buyers should ensure the fit is correct for their head shape and size for maximum safety and comfort.
Performance Comparison of Classic Motorcycle Helmets
|Low-Profile Fiberglass Composite
|Adequate, with front vents
|Full-Face, Retro Design
|Clear, Flat Shield with Brown Leather Tab
|Limited, no explicit ventilation system
|Full-Face, 70’s style
|Clear (Gringo S has flip-up)
|Good, hidden ventilation system
|Open-Face, Classic Design
|Shoei GT-Air II
|Multi-ply Matrix AIM
|Good, dual intake and exhaust system
|Full-Face, Retro Design
|Advanced Polycarbonate Composite
|SuperCool, Removable and washable
|Limited, no explicit ventilation system
|3/4 Design, Retro
|Integrated, flip-up HJ-V8 sun shield
How to Choose the Right Classic Motorcycle Helmet?
Now that we have discussed some of the best classic motorcycle helmets on the market, including their key features, pros, and cons, you might wonder how to decide which helmet is the right one for you. After all, selecting a helmet isn’t just about aesthetics; it’s also about comfort, fit, and, most importantly, safety. Here are some key factors to consider when choosing a classic motorcycle helmet:
1. Safety Standards: The first thing to look for in any helmet, classic or otherwise, is the safety certification. In the U.S., you should ensure that the helmet meets or exceeds the Department of Transportation (DOT) standards. Some helmets may also have Snell or ECE certifications, which have their own safety testing protocols.
2. Helmet Type: As seen in the helmets we discussed, classic helmets come in different types: full-face, open-face, and 3/4 helmets. Full-face helmets offer the most protection, but some riders prefer the feel and style of open-face or 3/4 helmets. Keep in mind that the less of your face the helmet covers, the less protection it provides.
3. Fit and Comfort: A helmet that doesn’t fit well won’t only be uncomfortable — it also won’t provide the maximum level of protection. A good helmet should fit snugly around your head and face, without being too tight. Many helmet models offer removable and adjustable padding for a better fit.
4. Ventilation: Adequate ventilation is crucial for comfort, especially on hot days or during long rides. Look for a helmet with a good ventilation system that allows air to circulate and heat to escape.
5. Visor: If you plan on riding in various light conditions, consider a helmet with an integrated or optional visor. Visors can help protect your eyes from the sun, wind, and debris.
6. Shell Material: The material of the shell affects the helmet’s protective capacity and weight. Higher-end helmets often use materials like fiberglass composite or carbon fiber, which offer excellent protection and are lightweight.
Remember, the best helmet for you is one that fits well, meets safety standards, and suits your style. The classic motorcycle helmets discussed in this article all deliver in these areas, making them excellent choices for anyone looking to combine safety with a touch of retro style.
Here’s the summarized data presented in a table format:
|Look for helmets that meet or exceed DOT standards. Some helmets may also have Snell or ECE certifications.
|Classic helmets come in full-face, open-face, and 3/4 helmet types. Full-face offers the most protection.
|Fit and Comfort
|A well-fitting helmet is crucial for both comfort and maximum protection. Consider adjustable padding options.
|Choose a helmet with a good ventilation system for comfort, especially during hot weather or long rides.
|Consider a helmet with an integrated or optional visor for eye protection against the sun, wind, and debris.
|The shell material affects both protection and weight. Higher-end helmets often use fiberglass or carbon fiber.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What safety certifications should a classic motorcycle helmet have?
|In the U.S., the helmet should at least meet the Department of Transportation (DOT) standards. Some helmets may also have Snell or ECE certifications.
|Which type of helmet offers the most protection?
|Full-face helmets offer the most protection as they cover the entire head and face.
|Is ventilation important in a classic motorcycle helmet?
|Yes, good ventilation is crucial for rider comfort, especially during long rides or in hot weather.
|Does a heavier helmet mean more protection?
|Not necessarily. The protection level of a helmet depends more on the construction and materials used rather than weight. Some lightweight helmets may provide excellent protection due to high-quality materials like fiberglass composite or carbon fiber.
|Can I wear glasses with a classic motorcycle helmet for glasses wearers?
|Yes, most helmets accommodate glasses. However, it’s best to try on the helmet with glasses to ensure a comfortable fit.
|Are all classic motorcycle helmets noisy or are these noise cancelling motorcycle helmets?
|Noise levels can vary. Generally, open-face and 3/4 helmets are noisier due to increased wind exposure. But a well-designed, snug-fitting full-face helmet can help reduce wind noise.
|Can the interior lining of the helmet be cleaned?
|Yes, many helmets come with removable and washable inner linings for easy cleaning and maintenance.
In summary, classic motorcycle helmets seamlessly blend timeless style like 70s style motorcycle helmets with reliable safety. After thorough product reviews, it is clear that these helmets capture the essence of the past while meeting the demands of modern riders. With attention to detail and craftsmanship, the top brands offer authentic and nostalgic designs that provide essential protection on the road.
Whether you prefer a full-face or open-face helmet, the options cater to different styles and preferences. Investing in a classic motorcycle helmet such as German Motorcycle Helmets ensures a safe and stylish riding experience. Choose a helmet that combines classic charm with the necessary protection and hit the road with confidence.