When it comes to riding motorcycles, nothing is more critical than ensuring your safety – and a high-quality helmet is a must-have item in this regard. With an array of choices on the market, finding the perfect helmet can be overwhelming.
This article focuses on comparing five popular helmets: TORC T55 Spec-Op Motorcycle Half Helmet, Bell Rouge Half Motorcycle Helmet, Daytona Helmets Novelty German, Milwaukee Helmets MPH9740, and HTTMT MT506-002.
We examine each helmet’s unique features, analyze the pros and cons, and put them side-by-side in a comparison table to help you make an informed decision about which helmet best suits your riding needs and style.
German Motorcycle Helmets Reviews in 2023
Here is a detailed review of some of the best German motorcycle helmets available in the market.
TORC T55 Spec-Op Motorcycle Half Helmet
TORC T55 Spec-Op Half Helmet provides riders with a blend of retro style and modern safety. It sports a low-profile shell that’s built from advanced thermo polymer alloy and features an integrated, drop-down sun visor. Its liner is removable and washable, ensuring optimal hygiene. It is also designed with comfortable inner padding for added convenience.
- Advanced Thermo Polymer Alloy Shell: Provides durable protection and lightweight convenience.
- Drop-Down Sun Visor: Integrated with the helmet for enhanced rider comfort in changing light conditions.
- Removable and Washable Inner Comfort Padding: Helps keep the helmet clean and fresh.
- Retro Style: Delivers a classic look that’s favored by many motorcycle riders.
- DOT Approved: Meets the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218 for motorcycle helmets.
- The retro style of the helmet offers a classic look that stands out.
- Drop-down sun visor increases usability and convenience for riders.
- Its lightweight yet sturdy construction provides comfortable wear for long rides.
- It comes with removable and washable inner padding, making maintenance easier.
- As a half helmet, it may not provide as much protection as full-face helmets.
- The lack of vents might result in less airflow compared to other models, potentially making it less comfortable on hot days.
- The noise reduction might not be as effective as with full-face or modular helmets.
- It may not fit well for all head shapes and sizes; some users report it runs a bit large.
Note: It’s important to always check safety standards, fit, and comfort when choosing any motorcycle helmet.
Bell Rogue Half Motorcycle Helmet
The Bell Rogue Half Motorcycle Helmet is a bold, innovative helmet that combines the aesthetics of a half helmet with the comfort of a 3/4 design. It’s unique because it includes a muzzle, providing an added level of comfort and style. Constructed with a lightweight composite shell, it features a comfortable interior and an adjustable muzzle.
- Composite Shell: Durable, lightweight, and provides a comfortable fit.
- Adjustable Muzzle: Ensures a customized and secure fit.
- Integrated Speaker Pockets: Convenience for those who use communication devices.
- Removable/Washable Interior: Allows for easy cleaning.
- DOT Certified: Meets the safety standards set by the Department of Transportation.
- The adjustable muzzle is a unique feature that provides additional protection and style.
- It has a durable and lightweight construction that is comfortable for long rides.
- The helmet offers integrated speaker pockets, which is a plus for communication device users.
- The interior is removable and washable, making maintenance easier.
- It may not provide as much protection as full-face helmets.
- Some users find the muzzle uncomfortable or obstructive.
- The helmet might be noisy at higher speeds because of its half-helmet design.
- Sizing might not be accurate for all, requiring extra attention while ordering.
Daytona Helmets Novelty German
Daytona Helmets Novelty German presents a unique design inspired by German WWII helmets. Its minimalist design appeals to riders who prioritize style and the open road feeling. Constructed with a durable shell, it provides a comfortable fit with its custom-formed interior.
- Minimalist Design: A low-profile shell with a German WWII style.
- Durable Shell: Provides protection while maintaining the helmet’s lightweight nature.
- Custom Formed Interior: For added comfort.
- Moisture Wicking Fabric: Keeps the rider dry and comfortable.
- Y-strap with Sliders: Adjusts to fit.
- The WWII-inspired design is unique and can appeal to riders looking for a distinct style.
- Its lightweight and comfortable fit is good for longer rides.
- The moisture-wicking fabric ensures the rider stays dry and comfortable.
- This helmet is a “novelty” helmet and is not DOT approved, meaning it may not provide adequate protection in the event of an accident.
- Lack of a visor might be inconvenient for some riders, necessitating the purchase of goggles.
- Noisy at high speeds due to its open design.
- The fit might be too tight for some, and there are fewer size options compared to other helmets.
Milwaukee Helmets MPH9740
The Milwaukee Helmets MPH9740 brings a classic, vintage aesthetic to modern motorcycle helmets. Designed with an ABS shell, it provides a high level of impact resistance while remaining lightweight. The deep interior ensures a snug fit, while the adjustable chin strap offers extra security.
- ABS Shell: Provides excellent impact resistance while maintaining a lightweight profile.
- Deep Interior: Ensures a snug and comfortable fit.
- Adjustable Chin Strap: Allows for a secure and customizable fit.
- Vintage Design: Adds a unique aesthetic appeal for riders who appreciate a classic look.
- DOT Approved: Meets the safety standards set by the Department of Transportation.
- The vintage design adds a unique aesthetic that stands out.
- The deep interior and adjustable chin strap ensure a comfortable, secure fit.
- Its lightweight yet sturdy ABS construction provides comfortable wear for long rides.
- As a half helmet, it might not offer as much protection as full-face helmets.
- The absence of a visor means riders may need to purchase separate eye protection.
- The noise reduction may not be as effective as with full-face or modular helmets.
- There may be size inconsistencies; therefore, it’s essential to check the sizing chart carefully.
German Black Leather Motorcycle Half Face Helmet HTTMT MT506-002
The HTTMT MT506-002 blends classic aesthetics with modern safety features. This half helmet is constructed from durable ABS material that withstands impacts effectively. It includes a quick-release buckle for convenience and a comfortable, fully removable, and washable lining.
- ABS Material: Offers a high level of impact resistance.
- Quick Release Buckle: Provides convenience and safety.
- Removable and Washable Lining: Allows for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- DOT Approved: Meets the safety standards set by the Department of Transportation.
- Classic Design: Delivers a traditional, retro appeal to riders.
- The classic design brings a unique aesthetic that appeals to many riders.
- The quick-release buckle offers both safety and convenience.
- Its removable and washable lining promotes hygiene and comfort.
- The helmet’s half-shell design may not provide as much protection as a full-face helmet.
- Noise reduction is not as effective due to the half-helmet design.
- The lack of a visor may require additional purchases for eye protection.
- Some users may find the sizing to be inconsistent or smaller than expected.
Here’s a comparative table summarizing the key features, pros, and cons of each motorcycle helmet:
|TORC T55 Spec-Op Motorcycle Half Helmet
|Thermo Polymer Alloy Shell, Drop-Down Sun Visor, Removable/Washable Padding, Retro Style, DOT Approved
|Retro style, Lightweight yet sturdy, Drop-down sun visor, Easy maintenance
|Less protective, Less airflow, Noise reduction might be less effective, Sizing concerns
|Bell Rogue Half Motorcycle Helmet
|Composite Shell, Adjustable Muzzle, Integrated Speaker Pockets, Removable/Washable Interior, DOT Certified
|Unique adjustable muzzle, Durable and lightweight, Integrated speaker pockets, Easy maintenance
|Less protective, Muzzle discomfort for some users, Noisy at higher speeds, Sizing issues
|Daytona Helmets Novelty German
|Minimalist Design, Durable Shell, Custom Formed Interior, Moisture Wicking Fabric, Y-strap with Sliders
|Unique WWII-inspired design, Lightweight and comfortable, Moisture-wicking fabric
|Not DOT approved, Lack of visor, Noisy at high speeds, Fewer size options
|Milwaukee Helmets MPH9740
|ABS Shell, Deep Interior, Adjustable Chin Strap, Vintage Design, DOT Approved
|Vintage aesthetic, Snug and secure fit, Lightweight yet sturdy
|Less protective, No visor, Noise reduction might be less effective, Size inconsistencies
|ABS Material, Quick Release Buckle, Removable and Washable Lining, DOT Approved, Classic Design
|Classic design, Quick-release buckle, Easy maintenance
|Less protective, Noise reduction not as effective, Lack of visor, Sizing issues
Here is a performance comparison analysis of all the products reviewed:
TORC T55 Spec-Op: The performance of the TORC T55 Spec-Op is commendable in terms of comfort and safety. Its lightweight Thermo Polymer Alloy Shell provides effective protection, and the drop-down sun visor offers added convenience during changing light conditions. However, as a half-helmet, it may not provide the same level of protection as full-face helmets, and its lack of ventilation might make it less comfortable on hot days.
Bell Rogue Half: Bell Rogue Half Helmet stands out for its unique adjustable muzzle that offers a distinct style and additional wind protection. Its lightweight composite shell ensures comfort during long rides. However, as a half helmet, noise and wind protection might be less than ideal, particularly at high speeds.
Daytona Helmets Novelty German: This helmet’s minimalist design and lightweight shell make it comfortable for long rides, and its moisture-wicking fabric keeps riders dry. However, its performance regarding safety is questionable as it is a novelty helmet and not DOT-approved. Riders might also find its lack of visor inconvenient in harsh weather conditions.
Milwaukee Helmets MPH9740: This helmet is comfortable for long rides due to its lightweight ABS shell and deep interior. Its adjustable chin strap ensures a secure fit. However, like the other half of helmets, noise and wind protection might be suboptimal, especially at higher speeds. Also, the lack of a visor might mean additional eye protection is required.
HTTMT MT506-002: The HTTMT MT506-002’s ABS material shell and quick-release buckle add safety and convenience to its performance. Its removable and washable lining makes it easy to maintain. But as a half-helmet, it might not provide comprehensive protection, and the noise reduction might not be as effective as in full-face helmets.
To sum up, each helmet has its strengths and weaknesses regarding performance. It’s essential to consider factors such as safety standards, level of protection, comfort, and convenience while choosing a helmet based on performance.
Here is a performance comparison chart of all the products reviewed:
|TORC T55 Spec-Op Motorcycle Half Helmet
|High (lightweight, inner padding)
|High (DOT approved, Thermo Polymer Alloy Shell)
|Drop-Down Sun Visor
|Easy (removable and washable padding)
|Bell Rogue Motorcycle Half Helmet
|High (lightweight, comfortable interior)
|High (DOT certified, composite shell)
|Adjustable Muzzle, Integrated Speaker Pockets
|Easy (removable/washable interior)
|Daytona Helmets Novelty German
|High (lightweight, custom formed interior)
|Low (not DOT approved)
|Moderate (requires extra care due to its novelty nature)
|Milwaukee Helmets MPH9740
|High (lightweight, deep interior)
|High (DOT approved, ABS shell)
|Moderate (interior is not specified as removable/washable)
|High (lightweight, comfortable lining)
|High (DOT approved, ABS material)
|Quick Release Buckle
|Easy (removable and washable lining)
Benefits of German Motorcycle Helmets
German motorcycle helmets, also known as “half helmets” or “shorty helmets,” have gained popularity among riders for various reasons such as some of their helmets are low in price and are one of the best helmets under $200 available in the market. Here are some benefits of German motorcycle helmets:
- Enhanced Comfort: German motorcycle helmets offer a lightweight and compact design that provides increased comfort during rides. The absence of a full-face shield allows for better ventilation and airflow, reducing the likelihood of heat buildup and discomfort.
- Freedom of Vision: With German helmets, riders enjoy an unrestricted field of vision. The open-face design allows for a wide peripheral view, enabling better situational awareness on the road. This can be particularly advantageous in urban environments or when navigating through heavy traffic.
- Ease of Communication: German helmets make communication with fellow riders or pedestrians more accessible. The open-face design allows for clearer and more direct communication, eliminating the need to remove the helmet or rely solely on intercom systems.
- Convenient for Short Trips: German motorcycle helmets are often preferred for shorter rides or urban commuting due to their compact size and ease of use. They are simple to put on and take off, making them ideal for frequent stops or short breaks.
- Stylish Appeal: German helmets are known for their classic and retro-inspired designs. Many riders appreciate the vintage look they provide, which can complement various motorcycle styles, from cruisers to café racers. The aesthetic appeal of German helmets is a significant factor for riders seeking a specific style.
- Less Claustrophobic Feel: For riders who dislike the enclosed feeling of full-face helmets, German helmets offer a more open and less claustrophobic experience. The open-face design allows for increased airflow and a sense of freedom that some riders find more enjoyable and less constricting.
- Flexibility and Versatility: German motorcycle helmets are often compatible with various accessories, such as visors, goggles, or snap-on face shields as these are wider and available in bigger sizes such as 5XL Motorcycle Helmets. This versatility allows riders to customize their helmet to suit different weather conditions or personal preferences.
- Local Legal Requirements: In some jurisdictions, German helmets may meet the legal requirements for motorcycle helmet use. If local regulations do not mandate a full-face helmet, riders can opt for a German helmet that meets the specified safety standards while enjoying the benefits mentioned above.
While German motorcycle helmets offer several advantages, it’s essential to note that they provide less protection compared to full-face helmets. Riders should consider their specific needs, riding conditions, and safety priorities when selecting a helmet style.
Factors to Consider While Choosing German Motorcycle Helmets
When choosing a German motorcycle helmet, several factors should be considered to ensure you select the right one for your needs. Don’t forget to buy helmet lock along with the helmet as it would be worth investing for the safety of your helmet in the future. Here are some important factors to consider:
Check if the helmet meets safety standards established by recognized organizations, such as DOT (Department of Transportation), ECE (Economic Commission for Europe), or Snell. Look for helmets with proper certification to ensure they provide adequate protection.
Fit and Comfort
The helmet should fit properly and comfortably on your head. Try different sizes and models to find the one that offers a snug and secure fit without causing any pressure points. Consider the interior padding, ventilation, and overall comfort features to ensure an enjoyable riding experience.
While German motorcycle helmets provide less coverage than full-face helmets, they should still offer sufficient protection for your head. Look for helmets with a durable outer shell made from high-quality materials that can withstand impact. Additionally, consider the helmet’s ability to protect your face, chin, and jaw, as these areas are more exposed in open-face designs.
Visibility and Field of Vision
Opt for a helmet that provides a wide field of vision and good visibility. The visor or shield should be optically correct, anti-fog, and scratch-resistant. Ensure that it offers adequate protection from wind, debris, and UV rays.
Proper ventilation is crucial for comfort during rides. Look for helmets with effective ventilation systems, such as adjustable vents or channels that allow airflow to keep you cool and reduce fogging.
Weight and Compactness
German helmets are known for their lightweight and compact designs. Consider the weight of the helmet and how it feels on your head. A lighter helmet can reduce neck strain and fatigue during longer rides.
Style and Aesthetics
German motorcycle helmets are often chosen for their retro or classic look. Consider the style and aesthetics that appeal to you, as the helmet is an extension of your personal style and can complement your bike’s overall appearance.
Accessories and Customization
Check if the helmet allows for additional accessories or customization options, such as visors, goggles, or snap-on face shields. This can enhance the versatility and adaptability of the helmet based on your specific needs and preferences.
Set a budget for your helmet purchase. While it’s important not to compromise on safety, there are options available in various price ranges. Research and compare different brands and models to find the best combination of safety, features, and value within your budget.
Remember, choosing the right German motorcycle helmet is a personal decision that should prioritize your safety, comfort, and individual design and type preferences such as 3/4 motorcycle helmets. Take your time to research and try on different helmets to find the one that meets your specific requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here’s the FAQ section in a table format:
Q: What makes German motorcycle helmets different from other styles?
A: German helmets have an open-face design for comfort and freedom of vision.
Q: Are German motorcycle helmets safe to use? German helmets provide less coverage than full-face helmets and prioritize comfort over maximum protection and also have a decent motorcycle helmet cost. Riders should consider their safety needs and riding conditions.
Q: Can I wear accessories with a German motorcycle helmet?
A: Yes, many German helmets are compatible with accessories such as visors, goggles, or snap-on face shields, allowing customization and adaptation to different conditions.
Q: Are German motorcycle helmets suitable for long rides?
A: German helmets are often preferred for shorter trips or urban commuting, but their suitability for long rides varies based on personal preference and comfort.
Q: Can I use a German motorcycle helmet legally in my area?
A: Helmet regulations differ by jurisdiction. Check your local laws to ensure compliance with approved helmets meeting safety standards.
Q: Are German motorcycle helmets suitable for all types of bikes?A: German helmets are versatile and complement various motorcycle styles, particularly those with a classic or retro aesthetic such as baseball motorcycle helmet. However, helmet choice depends on personal preference and desired level of protection.
When shopping for a motorcycle helmet, it’s important to choose one that is comfortable and provides the necessary protection also look for the helmets according to your gender such as the motorcycle helmets for women are women-specific. The five best German motorcycle helmets we have reviewed provide a great combination of safety, style, comfort, and some extra features such as the adjustment of speakers or helmet intercom. Whether you’re looking for a lightweight, full-face, or open-face helmet, you can find a great option in the German market. No matter what your needs or preferences are, you’re sure to find the perfect helmet for your next ride.