Yes, Icon helmets are generally considered to be of good quality. Icon is a well-known brand in the motorcycle community and they offer a wide range of helmets with various features and styles to suit different riders’ preferences. Many Icon helmets are DOT and/or ECE certified, which means they meet safety standards set by the Department of Transportation and/or the Economic Commission for Europe. Additionally, Icon helmets often have innovative design features and technologies, such as anti-fog visors and ventilation systems, that enhance comfort and performance. Overall, if you’re in the market for a new motorcycle helmet, an Icon helmet is definitely worth considering.
Are icon helmets high quality?
Icon Helmets are a popular choice among motorcycle riders and enthusiasts, known for their unique designs and features. However, when it comes to safety, riders need to ensure that the helmet they choose is of high quality and can provide adequate protection in case of an accident. So, are Icon Helmets good quality? This is a question that many riders may ask before making a purchase decision. In this article, we will delve deeper into the quality of Icon Helmets, examining their features, safety ratings, and overall reputation in the motorcycle community to provide an answer to this question.
Features of Icon Helmets
Icon helmets are known for their unique designs and advanced features that make them stand out from other motorcycle helmets. Some of the features that come with Icon helmets include:
- Ventilation: Icon helmets come with advanced ventilation systems that provide maximum airflow, keeping riders cool and comfortable during rides.
- Aerodynamics: These helmets are designed to be aerodynamic, reducing wind resistance and minimizing wind noise for a quieter ride.
- Visors: Icon helmets come with a range of visors, including tinted, mirrored, and clear options, providing riders with clear vision and protection from the sun.
- Safety features: Icon helmets are equipped with safety features such as multi-density EPS liners, reinforced chin straps, and impact-absorbing shells to ensure maximum protection in case of an accident.
- Unique designs: Icon helmets are known for their unique and eye-catching designs, with a range of graphics and colors to choose from.
- Communication systems: Many Icon helmets come with integrated communication systems, allowing riders to communicate with other riders, listen to music, or receive phone calls while on the road.
Types of Icon Helmets
When considering the quality of Icon helmets, it’s important to understand the different types of helmets offered by the brand. Icon offers a range of helmet styles to suit different riding styles and preferences. Let’s take a closer look at each of these helmet types:
- Full Face Helmets: Full face helmets provide the most coverage and protection, covering the entire head and face. Icon offers a range of full face helmets, including the Airflite, Airmada, and Alliance GT, which come with advanced ventilation systems, multiple visor options, and safety features such as multi-density EPS liners and reinforced chin straps.
- Open Face Helmets: Open face helmets provide coverage for the top of the head but leave the face exposed. Icon’s open face helmet, the Airform, features a lightweight polycarbonate shell and adjustable vents for maximum ventilation.
- Dual Sport Helmets: Dual sport helmets are designed for riders who switch between on-road and off-road riding. Icon’s dual sport helmet, the Variant, features a removable chin bar, a fog-free shield, and an aerodynamic design for maximum performance both on and off the road.
- Modular Helmets: Modular helmets, also known as flip-up helmets, provide the flexibility of a full face helmet with the convenience of an open face helmet. Icon’s modular helmet, the Airform, features a lightweight polycarbonate shell, an anti-fog shield, and a drop-down sun visor.
To provide a comparison of the different types of Icon helmets, let’s take a look at a chart that shows the key features of each helmet type:
|Full Face||Airflite, Airmada, Alliance GT||Entire Head and Face||Advanced||Multiple||Multi-density EPS, Reinforced Chin Strap, Impact-Absorbing Shell||$250-$300|
|Open Face||Airform||Top of Head||Adjustable||Single||Lightweight Polycarbonate Shell||$160-$180|
|Dual Sport||Variant||Entire Head and Face, Removable Chin Bar||Advanced||Multiple||Multi-density EPS, Reinforced Chin Strap, Impact-Absorbing Shell||$450-$500|
|Modular||Airform||Entire Head and Face, Flip-Up Chin Bar||Adjustable||Single||Lightweight Polycarbonate Shell, Drop-Down Sun Visor||$240-$280|
As we can see from the chart, each type of Icon helmet has its unique selling points and features. Full face helmets provide the most coverage and protection, while open face helmets offer maximum ventilation and comfort. Dual sport helmets are designed for riders who switch between on-road and off-road riding, while modular helmets provide the flexibility of a full face helmet with the convenience of an open face helmet. Overall, Icon offers a wide range of helmet types to suit different riding styles and preferences, ensuring that riders can find the right helmet for their needs.
To provide a comparison of the features of Icon helmets with other popular motorcycle helmet brands, let’s take a look at a chart that shows the features of some popular models from different brands:
|Brand||Model||Ventilation||Aerodynamics||Visors||Safety Features||Communication Systems|
|Icon||Airflite||Advanced||Aerodynamic||Multiple||Multi-density EPS, Reinforced chin strap, Impact-absorbing shell||Optional integrated speaker and mic|
|Shoei||RF-1200||Advanced||Aerodynamic||Multiple||Multi-Ply Matrix AIM+ Shell, Dual-Layer Multi-Density EPS, Emergency Quick Release System||Optional Sena SRL2 communication system|
|Bell||Qualifier DLX||Advanced||Aerodynamic||Multiple||Lightweight Polycarbonate/ABS Shell, Dual-Density EPS, ClickRelease Shield System||Optional Sena SMH10 communication system|
|Arai||Corsair-X||Advanced||Aerodynamic||Multiple||PB SNC2 Shell, Multi-Density EPS, Emergency Release System||N/A|
|AGV||K6||Advanced||Aerodynamic||Multiple||Carbon-fiber Shell, Multi-Density EPS, Double D-ring Retention System||Optional integrated Bluetooth communication system|
As we can see from the chart, Icon helmets compare favorably with other popular helmet brands in terms of features. While each brand may have their unique selling points, Icon helmets come with advanced ventilation, aerodynamic design, multiple visor options, safety features, unique designs, and optional communication systems. These features make Icon helmets a great option for riders who want both style and functionality in their helmet.
Differences Between Icon Helmets
When considering the quality of Icon helmets, it’s important to understand the differences between the various helmet models offered by the brand. Icon offers a range of helmets, each with its unique design and features. Let’s take a closer look at the different types of Icon helmets:
- Airflite: The Airflite is a full-face helmet with advanced ventilation and aerodynamic design. It comes with multiple visor options, a removable/washable liner, and a reinforced chin strap. The Airflite is available in a range of unique designs and colors, making it a popular choice for riders looking for a stylish and functional helmet.
- Airmada: The Airmada is another full-face helmet that features a lightweight injection-molded polycarbonate shell and an advanced ventilation system. It comes with multiple visor options, a removable/washable liner, and a reinforced chin strap. The Airmada is designed to provide maximum comfort and protection on long rides.
- Alliance GT: The Alliance GT is a full-face helmet that features a lightweight fiberglass/Dyneema/carbon fiber shell and an advanced ventilation system. It comes with a ClickRelease shield system, NutraFog II anti-fog visor, and a removable/washable liner. The Alliance GT is designed for riders who demand performance and style.
- Airform: The Airform is an open-face helmet that features a lightweight injection-molded polycarbonate shell and an advanced ventilation system. It comes with a removable/washable liner and an anti-fog shield. The Airform is designed for riders who prefer the comfort and freedom of an open-face helmet.
- Variant: The Variant is a dual-sport helmet that features a lightweight fiberglass/Dyneema/carbon fiber shell and a removable chin bar. It comes with a fog-free shield, multiple vents, and a removable/washable liner. The Variant is designed for riders who switch between on-road and off-road riding.
- Airflite Mips: The Airflite Mips is a full-face helmet that features a multi-directional impact protection system (MIPS) to reduce the risk of brain injury in the event of an accident. It also has advanced ventilation, multiple visor options, and a removable/washable liner. The Airflite Mips is designed for riders who prioritize safety and protection.
To provide a comparison of the different types of Icon helmets, let’s take a look at a chart that shows the key features of each helmet model:
|Model||Type||Shell Material||Ventilation||Visor Options||Liner||Chin Strap||Safety Features||Price|
|Airflite||Full-face||Injection-Molded Polycarbonate||Advanced||Multiple||Removable/Washable||Reinforced||Impact-Absorbing Shell||$250-$300|
|Airmada||Full-face||Injection-Molded Polycarbonate||Advanced||Multiple||Removable/Washable||Reinforced||Impact-Absorbing Shell||$200-$250|
|Alliance GT||Full-face||Fiberglass/Dyneema/Carbon Fiber||Advanced||Multiple||Removable/Washable||Reinforced||Impact-Absorbing Shell||$300-$350|
|Airform||Open-face||Injection-Molded Polycarbonate||Advanced||Single||Removable/Washable||Reinforced||Impact-Absorbing Shell||$160-$180|
|Variant||Dual-sport||Fiberglass/Dyneema/Carbon Fiber||Advanced||Multiple||Removable/Washable||Reinforced||Impact-Absorbing Shell||$450-$500|
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Motorcycle Helmet
When choosing a motorcycle helmet, there are several factors to consider to ensure you select the best option for your needs. Let’s take a closer look at each of these factors:
- Safety Ratings: Safety should be the top priority when selecting a helmet. You should look for helmets that meet or exceed the safety standards set by organizations such as the Department of Transportation (DOT) and/or Snell. The DOT standard involves impact resistance and penetration resistance tests, while the Snell standard is a more rigorous test that measures impact and retention system strength. Look for helmets that meet or exceed these standards to ensure maximum protection in case of an accident.
- Fit: The helmet should fit properly, with no gaps between the helmet and your head, and no pressure points. It should also sit level on your head, with the chin strap snugly secured. A proper fit is critical to ensure that the helmet stays in place and provides maximum protection.
- Comfort: The helmet should be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, with adequate ventilation and padding. A helmet that is too hot or too tight can cause discomfort and distraction, leading to a less enjoyable riding experience. Look for helmets with multiple vents and removable/washable liners to ensure maximum comfort.
- Features: The helmet should come with features that are important to you, such as a clear visor, ventilation, and aerodynamics. Different helmets have different features, so consider which ones are important to you and your riding style. For example, if you plan to ride in hot weather, you may want a helmet with advanced ventilation. If you plan to ride at high speeds, you may want a helmet with an aerodynamic design.
- Price: The price of the helmet should also be taken into consideration, as higher-priced helmets may come with additional features but may not necessarily provide better protection. Consider your budget and look for helmets that meet your safety and feature requirements within your price range.
By considering these factors when selecting a helmet, you can ensure that you choose a helmet that provides the best combination of safety, fit, comfort, features, and price for your needs.
It’s worth noting that some helmets may prioritize certain factors over others. For example, a racing helmet may prioritize aerodynamics and ventilation over comfort, while a touring helmet may prioritize comfort and features over aerodynamics. Make sure to choose a helmet that fits your riding style and needs.
Reputation of Icon Helmets
Apart from their features and safety ratings, the reputation of Icon helmets is an important factor to consider when evaluating their quality. Let’s take a closer look at what riders and experts have to say about Icon helmets:
- Positive Reviews: Icon helmets have received numerous positive reviews from motorcycle riders, praising the brand for its unique designs, advanced features, and safety features. On various online platforms, such as Amazon, Revzilla, and MotoSport, Icon helmets have high average ratings, indicating that they are well-liked by riders.
- Awards: Icon helmets have won several awards over the years, including the Red Dot Design Award for their Airflite helmet. This award recognizes products with outstanding design quality and innovation, demonstrating Icon’s commitment to creating visually striking helmets that also prioritize safety and performance.
- Professional Endorsements: Many professional riders and experts in the motorcycle industry have endorsed Icon helmets, including Jason Britton, a stunt rider and host of Velocity’s “Super Bikes!”, who is an official Icon Ambassador. Professional endorsements lend credibility to the quality of the product and can give riders confidence in their purchase.
- Community Involvement: Icon has been actively involved in the motorcycle community, sponsoring events and supporting rider safety initiatives. This involvement has helped to build a positive reputation for the brand among riders and motorcycle enthusiasts, demonstrating Icon’s commitment to the sport and the safety of its riders.
To provide a better understanding of the reputation of Icon helmets, let’s take a look at some of the reviews and ratings for the popular Icon helmet models on various platforms:
|Model||Average Rating (Amazon)||Average Rating (Revzilla)||Average Rating (MotoSport)|
As we can see from the chart, the popular Icon helmet models have received high average ratings on various platforms, indicating that they are well-liked by riders. This positive feedback further supports the reputation of Icon helmets as high-quality motorcycle helmets. The positive reputation of Icon helmets, along with their advanced features and safety ratings, makes them a reliable choice for motorcycle riders.
Pros and Cons
Here’s a chart that summarizes the pros and cons of Icon helmets:
|Wide range of helmet types – Icon offers a range of helmet styles to suit different riding styles and preferences.||Price: Icon helmets can be more expensive than helmets from other brands, making them less accessible for riders on a tight budget.|
|Stylish designs – Icon helmets are known for their unique and stylish designs, making them a popular choice among riders who value aesthetics.||Limited color options: While Icon helmets are known for their unique designs, the brand’s color options can be limited compared to other helmet brands.|
|Advanced safety features: Icon helmets come with advanced safety features such as multi-density EPS liners, reinforced chin straps, and impact-absorbing shells.||Noise level: Some riders have reported that Icon helmets can be noisier than other helmets, making it difficult to hear while riding.|
|Good ventilation: Many Icon helmets come with advanced ventilation systems that keep riders cool and comfortable even in hot weather conditions.||Limited availability: Icon helmets may not be as widely available as other helmet brands, which can make it difficult for riders to try them on before purchasing.|
|Comfortable fit: Icon helmets are designed to provide a comfortable fit that reduces fatigue and allows riders to focus on the road||Limited sizing options: Icon helmets may not be available in as many size options as other helmet brands, which can make it difficult for riders to find the right fit.|
While Icon helmets have many advantages such as their advanced safety features, wide range of helmet types, and stylish designs, they may not be the best option for riders on a tight budget due to their higher price point. The brand’s color options can be limited, and some riders have reported that Icon helmets can be noisier than other helmets. In addition, Icon helmets may not be as widely available as other helmet brands, and the limited sizing options can make it difficult for riders to find the right fit.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What materials are Icon helmets made from?||Icon helmets are made from a range of materials such as injection-molded polycarbonate, fiberglass/Dyneema/carbon fiber, and multi-density EPS liners.|
|Do Icon helmets come in different sizes?||Yes, Icon helmets come in a range of sizes to fit different head shapes and sizes.|
|What safety features do Icon helmets have?||Icon helmets come with advanced safety features such as reinforced chin straps, multi-density EPS liners, and impact-absorbing shells. Some models also have a multi-directional impact protection system (MIPS) to reduce the risk of brain injury.|
|Are Icon helmets comfortable to wear?||Yes, Icon helmets are designed to provide a comfortable fit and reduce fatigue. They often come with features such as removable/washable liners and advanced ventilation systems.|
|Are Icon helmets noisy?||Some riders have reported that Icon helmets can be noisier than other helmets, but this can vary depending on the specific model and riding conditions.|
|How do I know if an Icon helmet is the right fit for me?||It’s important to measure your head and refer to the sizing chart provided by Icon to ensure a proper fit. It’s also recommended to try on the helmet before purchasing if possible.|
|How much do Icon helmets cost?||The price of Icon helmets varies depending on the model and features, but they typically range from $160 to $500.|
|Are Icon helmets worth the price?||This ultimately depends on individual preferences and needs. Icon helmets are known for their unique designs, advanced safety features, and comfortable fit, but they may not be the best option for riders on a tight budget. It’s important to consider the pros and cons before making a decision.|
Here’s a chart summarizing what the experts think about the quality of Icon helmets:
|RevZilla||RevZilla, a leading motorcycle gear and accessories retailer, states that Icon helmets are “known for their unique and edgy style, advanced safety features, and comfort-focused design.” They note that the brand has a range of helmet types to suit different riding styles and preferences.|
|Motorcycle News||Motorcycle News, a popular motorcycle news and reviews website, has given positive reviews to several Icon helmet models. They note that the helmets are well-designed and come with advanced safety features, but may not be the most affordable option on the market.|
|Web Bike World||Web Bike World, a motorcycle gear and accessories review site, has given high ratings to several Icon helmet models, noting their advanced safety features, comfortable fit, and stylish design. They also note that some riders may find the limited color and sizing options to be a drawback.|
|RideApart||RideApart, a motorcycle news and reviews website, has given positive reviews to several Icon helmet models, praising their unique designs and advanced safety features. They note that the helmets can be more expensive than other brands, but argue that the quality justifies the price.|
Overall, experts generally have a positive view of the quality of Icon helmets, noting their unique designs, advanced safety features, and comfortable fit. However, some experts have noted that the helmets can be more expensive than other brands, and the limited color and sizing options may be a drawback for some riders.
Based on the features, safety ratings, and reputation of Icon helmets, it is safe to say that they are indeed of good quality. Icon helmets are designed with advanced features to provide maximum comfort, protection, and style to riders. These helmets have also received safety ratings from both DOT and Snell, indicating that they meet or exceed the safety standards set by these organizations. Additionally, Icon helmets have a positive reputation among riders, experts, and the motorcycle community, further cementing their status as high-quality motorcycle helmets.
To summarize the safety ratings for the popular Icon helmet models, let’s take a look at a chart that shows the safety ratings from both DOT and Snell:
|Model||Safety Rating (DOT)||Safety Rating (Snell)|
|Airflite||DOT FMVSS 218||Snell M2020|
|Alliance GT||DOT FMVSS 218||Snell M2020|
|Airmada||DOT FMVSS 218||Snell M2015|
|Variant Pro||DOT FMVSS 218||Snell M2020|